Tuesday, November 22, 2011

100% Italian Girl vs 100% Colombian guy...need advice on how to approach family...?

My girls family is an old fashion Italian family and believe that she should marry an Italian guy. But this is not the case. I'm colombain and we are happy with one another. She wants to tell her father but fears that he is going to put her on lock down. Her mother knows a little and doesnt have a problem but she told her that she rather not know because she doesnt want to hide it from her husband. Im truly lost on what to do. I met him once and that was because i was helping her out with her car and i was introduced as a friend and he liked me.... but I dont know how we can tell them whats going on.. and get the approval so we can be happy together and not hide our relationship.. HELP?100% Italian Girl vs 100% Colombian guy...need advice on how to approach family...?
carefully100% Italian Girl vs 100% Colombian guy...need advice on how to approach family...?
Coming from an italian family.......I can tell you we are a rare breed!! We are set in traditional values and don't like a lot of change. However, we are capable of changing our minds.





First, it depends how old you are. If you're under 18, I'd tell you to wait until you absolutely have to tell her father. Because he's not going to like it in the beginning. He's going to act irrational and cause problems between the two of you.





If you're over 18, she should tell him alone. Just the two of them. Maybe they go for a walk. Or sit and have dinner together. And she should explain to him that she didn't expect to fall for someone outside of her culture.....but she did. And that she found someone that treats her right and makes her very happy. And that it's better to hold on to that than the creeps in the past that were italian or any other nationality. Over time, as he's forced to witness his daughter's happiness.....he'll come around. In the end.....An italian man wants nothing more.....than to see his daughter completely happy.
Just be yourself and don't let an Italian bring you down.
Don't hide anything.


Be honest. If both of you are really in love, you will be together regardless. You MAY need to start a new family with no in-laws, but it is up to both of you to decide if you are going to be together for the rest of your life.


I am Italian; my wife is Brazilian. If my father was alive, he would've cut me off. However, I was intent on having my own family, even if NO ONE stood with me.


With my father and his family, if a person wasn't Italian, they weren't 'human'. Think about the respect your families have for you: Are they more interested in you loving each other or in being the same ethnic group? (Marriages last because of Love, not by being the same nationality).
My mom is Cuban and Catholic while my dad is Jewish and caucasian. There are some issues and miscommunicatons but we get along fine. I think you should just be yourself and show them that you want the best for their daughter and can give it to her. Remind them that it is her choice and that you love eachother.


P.S. If that doesn't work, try to get an Italian accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment