Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Family Situation... Father Does Drugs. Need advice?

Late last year I discovered my father smoked marijuana, as there was always a strange smell in the bathroom after he had been in there. He used to joke it was just his own scent, and when he finally admitted that he ';smoked a little bit of dope'; (his words not mine) I broke down. I don't condone drugs at all, hell I don't even drink or smoke. He could be using a number of drugs for all I know. But the smell is becoming more frequent, so I know exactly when he does it. It's obvious that it affects him, as he is overly talkative afterwards, something he never is. Also, he and my mother are alcoholics, and drink themselves to passing out on the couch almost every night, then forget many things they've said or done the night before. It also makes them overly angry and my mother especially, emotional. It's a roller coaster living in this house and I can't handle it anymore. I'm 18 years old, just finished year 12, and currently looking for work, but with this financial crisis it's so hard to find a job. I can't move out at the moment, as I don't have enough money. I don't know what I can do to survive, as I am constantly being abused (only verbally) every second of the day for not having a job and for being a freeloader although I pay board and help out around the house. I can't live with my friends, and I don't think my grandparents want anyone moving in; my parents tell them that I'm horribly behaved when I'm not and they pretty much have them brainwashed. Does anyone have any advice? Please, no flamers, I am being deadly serious with this question.Family Situation... Father Does Drugs. Need advice?
i can totally empathize. i was in a similar situation several years ago with my father as well.





when you dad isn't high, and neither of your parents are drunk, get them to stop what they're doing and have a serious talk with them. let them know how this is affecting you. if that doesn't work, and if you are really desperate, you can do what my brother was thinking about doing after he dropped out of college: joining the National Guard.Family Situation... Father Does Drugs. Need advice?
i feel so bad for you, u know, u should confide in your parents and tell them what they are doing is wrong. if they don't listen, then just move to your granparents! tell them what ur parents are doing! and if they love you they will give you a place to stay at least for a little while. and about the dad smoking majuanna thing.. yea.. i am so disgusted that people do that but, if anything goes wrong, and he responds in a phisical way to youre, needs, and whatever.. its simple... just dial 9...1....1!!!!!!! i have had a grandpa smoke maruanna but he died. i wish best of luck and hopefully all of the advice you get works.
If you really are DESPERATE joing the National Guard. They will pay for your tuition and in addition give you $600 a month to live plus what you get for going that ONCE a month. That is what I did and am now almost done with degree (already got my AA). If you don't want the delay of training then look into ROTC, they pay full tuition and give you a living allowance as well. I'm not tyring to plug the military or anything but I was in your shoes and it helped me to become independent. It's really not that bad either LOTS of gread benefits, health insurance etc and HEY you can't get fired =)
Well, having an alcoholic father (who is now sober), a borderline psychotic mother (who is being effectively medicated), me having issues with manic/depressive bipolar disorder (for which I am medicated for as well), and being in an identical financial state to you about 5 months ago, I gotta' say that I feel for you. I am 18 as well and let me tell ya - it sucks being 18 in a world like this. We are struggling to get ourselves educated so we stand a fighting chance when our parents are gone. We can barely afford to go to the movies with our friends on Fridays at 9 bucks a ticket. Most of us don't even have cars of our own to go job-hunting with. You are 18 so a social worker would probably not help unless a case of physical domestic violence breaks out (which is not something you would want to happen). One thing you can do is call a hot-line involving drug and alcohol abuse. You are living under a co-dependent relationship and things will only get worse. Your parents are both addicts (and in times like these, it wouldn't surprise me if more people were in our situation) and boy have I had my experience with them (my father was an alcoholic for 12 years - almost 9 of which I was alive for). They can go to rehab or Al-Anon (alcoholics anonymous) but they come back changed. The substance that they are abusing is gone but the addictive personality is still there -and it ain't leavin' anytime soon.





I hate to give you such a grim response but you are pretty much on your own. This is probably your best bet. If you aren't already in college - register for entrance exams, study for them, and take them. Apply for college and etc. If you cannot afford college, you will need to get a job. That is a really difficult thing to do in these times - believe me: I know. If you are having a really hard time with the job-finding, it is probably in your best interest to look up a trade school in your area. Make sure that it is accredited and try to get into a program there. Most of them can get you certification for just about anything that they offer. I went to a vocational high school and I am already a licensed practical nurse at age 18. I am a freshman in college and I have a great career open to me. Go for just about anything in medicine. That is always in high demand. People are always getting sick and you will never be out of a job because of that. The most important thing that only you can do is make sure that you keep your chin up. I know that it is difficult but you need to take somethings in life head on. You need to show the sh*t that comes your way that it has no control over your life and that only you can decide what you make of yourself. It is gonna' be some of the hardest work you have ever experienced but determination will pay off. I guarantee that. Feel free to email me if want. This question really struck a cord with me. I hope that this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment