Sunday, August 22, 2010

Advice on dodging an unwanted family trip...?

My parents are planning this big European vacation and I really don't want to go.





I'm 25 years old and have a life of my own, I don't feel the need to go on a trip to have fun. Also, I feel awful about them spending so much money when I know I simply won't enjoy myself. I've tried gently telling my mom, but she just gets mad and then quickly glosses over it--I'm not exactly getting my point across, apparently.





So any advice on how to get my point across? Please no ';Go--maybe you'll have a good time'; I won't--sleeping in a hotel room with my parents for a week doing tourist-y things just isn't my thing. Help!Advice on dodging an unwanted family trip...?
Simply tell her that buying the ticket will be a waste of her time and money. You are not going to get on the plane to go and that is the end of it. She may get mad but she will get over it. Then you need to gloss it over and tell her of all the cool things that she and your dad can do with the extra money that they saved on not buying your ticket. If you have to then get on line and look up some things that they can do. Things that would not interest you in the least but you know that she would love. Then kiss her on the cheek and let her know that you love her and appreciate that she was thinking of you too for the trip but you really are not interested and you hope that they have a wonderful time.Advice on dodging an unwanted family trip...?
I know you don't want to hear this, but I think you should go. Now, wait just hear me out. Parents love you, they always have and always will, and now you've grown up. However, in their eyes your always their baby. Imagine how they must feel seeing how old and independant you are. They probably just want to spend some quality time with you. Treasure the time you spent with them because tomorrow may never come. My mom lost her mother at your age and I don't think a day goes by when she doesn't miss her.





Just go. Maybe it will turn out better that you think.
Do you still live with your parents? if so you should make the effort. If not, then you have no reason to please
Your wishes are not being considered by your mother who claims that she cares about you.





She obviously doesn't care what you want. She cares about what she wants.





You tried to gently tell her that you have no interest in going and she gets mad.





You ever notice how parents often act like babies when they don't get their way?





You've done your part and you've been Ms Nice Girl about things to the best of your ability. Now, it's time to be heard. Aren't you tired by now of not being taken seriously? It time to change all that.





She doesn't care about what you want, it's time to not care about how she feels. Fair is fair.





Right now, you have to get pissed off. You need to make yourself really mad so that you will express yourself so that there is no doubt as to weither or not you are getting your point across. Anger can be a good thing.





The VERY NEXT TIME it is suggested that you are going to Europe, you must summon all the anger that you can muster and put your finger in her face and let her know that this is absolutely the last time that you are going to make it clear to someone so thick headed that you are not going to Europe no matter what, period.





Get mean when it's necessary or be walked on and unhappy for the rest of your life.





Best Wishes





.
go on the trip to make your parents happy


by going on the trip, you'd be killing two birds with one stone


one:you'd be making your parents happy


two:you'd overcome your childish habits





i think you should go on the trip


just have fun


we all need a break once in a while
Really, how would you feel if your parents passed away and this was the last trip you had to be with them~~


Just think how would you feel then....


Don't let this to busy my own life attitude get in the way....of this trip...please go , close eyes...and enjoy..be that kid again... I say this because I had the a similar chance to be with my dad I put it off of course..because i was soooo busy doing what i wish i could tell you(can't even remember) and now guess what...My dad passed just like that..healthy man..gone and i never got to spend the trip he wanted us to go....


Please don't be me..I miss my dad so much...~~~~G.Luck
To be honest, you sound kind o selfish and childish. You don't know you may have fun. I mean you have a trip-paid for- by your parents and you can't even stop whining to think it will be fun. I mean who in their right mind would give you sympathy? ';Mommy and Daddy paying for a trip and I don't want to go?'; Really. Go. That's the grown up thing to do. Good luck
Sometimes you do things to please others even if it means doing something you do not want to do. You really should go...someday they won't be around and then you will feel really bad you didn't do something nice for them for their sake. Trust me, I lost my Mom a few years back and I would change a thousand things if I could.





EDIT: Since you already made up your mind NOT to go; why even waste time with this rhetorical question? When you ask a question in a public forum that leaves it open for everyone's opinions, and you have rejected so many it seems odd that you even bothered to ask since you already aren't going to go with your parents. What a shame such nice parents and such a selfish daughter. Karma, my dear, will come back to haunt you someday...I suppose you only wanted people to agree with you and to commiserate what a terrible thing for parents to want their daughter to share part of her precious summer with them at their expense...oh well. Takes all kinds. My condolences to your parents.
I know what you mean and even though you want to consider their feelings you also want them to understand you. If you haven't explained nicely how you would rather not go without putting them or their ideas down , try doing that. Sometimes it's all in the way we word things.
Well you know what I would do is buy a lovely thank you card and in that card I would write, thank you so much for your generous offer to take me on a trip to Europe with you, but I will not be able to go. Please don't take offense, I sincerely appreciate your kind offer.





And that's it. I wouldn't discuss it any further. There's no reason for a bunch of discussion. I would leave the expense part out. You don't need to worry about that. Obviously your parents can afford it, so it's not a waste of money. The fact is you don't want to go and sadly if you don't want to go, then you shouldn't.





To hash it out over and over would be a total waste and could lead to you accidentally saying something you don't want to. Now, listen, it sounds to me like your mom is still going to be upset. So make sure that you tell them that you love them, don't want to hurt their feelings, but just don't want to go and you hope they can respect your decision. And then if they still get mad, which could very well happen, just remember. You are NOT responsible for their feelings. No matter what. You are only responsible for how you treat them and how you feel. Do not take ownership if they flip. ok? Just be polite, and loving and you can't go wrong. Best of luck!
I think you should go I'm not saying you're going to have a great time but I think you should go and spend some quality time together. Also they won't live for ever so spend the time you have with them. Just try it you might like it and want to go to Europe. If I were you I would go. It sounds fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment