Sunday, August 22, 2010

How to get my husband to stop referring to his family by 'baby' names... any advice?

My husband and I are somewhat newly weds and he has a child from a previous marriage whom I adore.





Over Christmas, he stopped referring to his family by their names (when talking to me) and now uses the names that he talks to his daughter with.





Mom: Nana- not like banana, like nona


Brother: Uncle Jimmy (usually Jim)


Sister: Auntie Amy (usually just Amy)


... and many more





We communicate well on most everything but this topic stumps me. This bothers me because I'm his wife, not his child. How do I ask him to stop without hurting his feelings?How to get my husband to stop referring to his family by 'baby' names... any advice?
Be honest and gentle.





';Honey, I know that you got into the habit of addressing your family members as Auntie/Uncle/etc when ';daughter'; was here over the holidays, but when it's just you and me, can we call them by thier names? It makes me feel kind of juvenile when you use that language and I know you wouldn't want to intentionally make me feel that way.';How to get my husband to stop referring to his family by 'baby' names... any advice?
It may be a little bothersome to you, but when you look at all the things that could go wrong in a relationship, this one is relatively small. Marriage is about compromise and getting used to your partners idiosyncrasies.


Many people including myself would be overjoyed if this were the only problem in our marriage.
I would probably not look at it like he's talking down to you. He's talking to you like you are part of his family, which you are.





If it really bugs you, just ask him directly why he has started referring to them this way when he's talking to you. Asking why shouldn't lead to hurt feelings.
I don't know why you can't understand that he is teaching his daughter how to address her grandmother, uncle and aunt. This is common practice for parents to do with children. He is simply teaching her how ';she'; should address them.





If this is the only thing your husband is doing - please feel blessed.
There's nothing wrong with so-called ';baby'; names. It's just a different level of intimacy.





But if you're not comfortable, tell him so...just don't expect him to change overnight...and if he does stop, don't be surprised if he stops using ANY form of endearment term with you.
What's the problem? my grandparents were called mamaw and papaw, and everyone in the family referred to them as that, even the adults. It didn't mean they were 'baby talking', it was just what everyone called them.





You sound a little uptight. Do you need help with that stick?
Enjoy it. I am 43 and I still address my aunts and uncles that way. My sisters and brothers will always be auntie or uncle when I am around my kids and some days it just slips out in conversations. I wouldn't be upset about it. It's an endearing thing to many.
Goodness gracious he should only talk to the child that way, not to you or anyone else, tell him to get a grip. We only refer to our elders that way out of respect, like if it was your aunt, not to our peers.
What difference does a name make. He could put a number on them. It really doesn't matter. I don't think the names you put up there are childish or baby names.
Tell him you don't know why but it just bothers you. Say it in a nice way. Tell him you want to be open with him about this
Why does it bother you so much? He is free to call his family members anything he wants.
I honestly don't get why it bothers you. I am part of a large extended Maori family and we all refer to ourselves as Aunty (name) or Uncle (name). The older generation who are technically uncles or aunties become nan or koro. Older cousins become aunty or uncle to the next generation of babies. It's just a sign of respect in our culture.


Don't start picking on the little stuff this early on in the marriage.


You asked the question you should handle the answers
  • beauty blog
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment