Monday, August 23, 2010

Any advice for moving away from family?

I am 22 years old and i am graduating college on june 3rd. i currently live in detroit with my family but i am considering moving to nevada in the next few months, where my brother lives.





The problem is i am very attached to my parents and sister who still live here in detroit. In fact the longest i have ever been away from them is 1 week. I worry that something might happen to them while im gone, or that ill be so unhappy without them. I also worry ill miss the green grass and lakes.





However, since im taking 1 year off before going to graduate school i feel that if i dont go now ill never end up going, i love nevada and want to experience living on my own. Im so torn, please give me any advice you can.Any advice for moving away from family?
Moving away from your parents isn't easy whether you are only 2 hours away or 2 days away. I never lived more than 120 miles away from my parents growing up and I didn't go to College until I was 29 years old. I didn't care what people thought about it and if they thought I was a Daddys girl or whatever because I was. I lost my Dad in 1993 and sure didn't want to move very far away from my Mom after that. But in 2000 I moved about 5 hours away from my Mom. I missed her alot and couldn't go see her when I wanted to either. My job was very demanding and I worked most of the time 14-16 hours a day. I called my Mom every day on the phone no matter what. I was a grown woman but still will never care what people thought about my feelings towards how I felt about my parents. We only have 1 set of true parents and if people wanted to call me a baby I was. In fact, I am the youngest of the siblings. But I lost my Mom in 2005. I had moved back to take care of her the last about 5 1/2 years of her life. You need to really think things through and make your decision. At times I catch myself thinking about what if???? What if I had moved to where I really wanted to live which was Montana and it is across the world from where my parents lived. But there will always be what ifs in our lives. Just do what you think will make you the happiest and since you will have a year off before going to graduate, this should give you plenty of time to make your decision on what to do and make the right choice for yourself. Only you know yourself better than anyone besides God. Whatever choice you make will be the right one. When you can, if you decide to move to Nevada, you can always get on a plane and go visit every chance you can. I wish you the very best. I know this is a very hard and difficult decision to make because I have been there more than once before both of my parents passed away. Now that they are gone, I still live in the same town I was raised in. I haven't moved at all and probably never will. If you do move, and find yourself really unhappy, you can always move back. You have alot of choices and have the right to make your own choices and change your mind also. Don't let anyone tell you any different or make you feel like you are a baby like some of these fools that are answering your question. If that is the case, I was a 38 year old baby when I moved about 5 hours away from my Mom and missed her like crazy. At least we love our parents the way they deserve to be loved. Take care and good luck sweetie.Any advice for moving away from family?
Telling someone to grow up isn't needed, although being with your family like that is a little childish? I haven't left my family longer then a week but I'm 13. I would say it isn't going to be fun to leave them maybe you should try to find other ways maybe you can talk to them on the phone and what not. But I will say I hope this works out for you :) I wish you luck.
Omg! Go! I'm in college now (which is 3 hours away from where I live), and before, I hadn't been away from home for longer than a week, too. Come on! I'm only 19, you need to grow up a little or you'll never leave!!! ^__^
You just have to go and do it. I'm very close to my family and last year I moved to Texas, from NY, all alone and didn't know anyone. It's hard and scarey and in the beginning it's not easy. But time goes on and it gets easier. You can call your parents anytime and they are always a plane ride away if you want to go and visit. And yes at times I miss the green and hills of the north but Nevada will have beauty in itself, so it will be a different kind of beautiful to experience. Don't be afraid to go it's something I definitely recommend you do because you don't want to be 50 and still in Detroit and wonder ';what if'; If it's not for you you will know and you can move back home, home is not going anywhere. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment