Sunday, August 22, 2010

Advice on missed payments from family - help!!?

My sister and I decided to join a gym last year and I ended up signing for the monthly payments to come from my bank account, along with her signature. It's been 5 months and she hasn't set up a standing order to my account or payed me even 拢1 toward the 拢350 she owes me so far. It may not sound like a lot, but she owes me more on top of that from other loans I've given her %26amp; it's the principal - she's out shopping %26amp; I'm counting the 拢's! I've looked into closing the gym account but of course it's a 12 month contract. She won't pay me, is there ANYTHING I can do to get her to pay me? Please help with any advice!!!





PS I've learnt my lesson not to lend her anymore, so advice like that is not appreciated!!





ThanksAdvice on missed payments from family - help!!?
There's not much you can do .. you could try asking the Gym to stop taking 'her' fees out of YOUR Bank but they aren't going to want to know





Gyms always have 'problems' with customers who realize (too late) that it would be a LOT cheaper to pay the daily rate than to pay %26amp; pay %26amp; pay for 12 or 18 months for something they end up using a couple of times a month (if that)





Needless to say, unless you are prepared to go to Court, there's not much you can do to get the money back .. still, you could START proceedings and maybe she will see sense before it reaches Court..Advice on missed payments from family - help!!?
Iv had the same prob with my sister she currently owes me over a thousand pounds and we dont speak anymore.Why dont you give the citizerns advice a call(if your in uk) they will help you out a great deal.Good luck :)
If she has signed the contract, then surely she is liable to the club?


If you cancelled the authority for those payments, whom would the gym pursue? Try doing it that way.
If she weren't your sister, would you consider taking her to the Small Claims Court? Sometimes, even the threat of legal action is enough to make someone see the error of their ways.
Obviously this is your own fault..shes your sister you must have known what she was like with money!!! especially if she doesnt for whatever reason want to set up a direct debit herself. why dont you get your mum to sort it out??
You should probably close your bank account and open a new one. Advise the gym to take your membership from your account and to contact your sister on how she intends to pay them. Case closed. As for the other money she's owed you, at some point it had to bother you that you've not been repaid. You may just consider the money up until now to be a gift. It's doubtful that you'll see the reimbursement. It was an expensive lesson but time to write it off and move on with life, knowing she is not someone to loan to for any reason. You are a sister... not a bank. You can seek legal counsel but it'll end up costing you more than you'll get. Suze Orman says it best, ';people first, then money, then things.';
  • beauty blog
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment