Thursday, August 19, 2010

My dad is making me take over the family business? I need some advice please?

What's the point of going to college or university when you're getting pushed into the family business anyway? There's no one else to run it. My dad wants me to go to university and take a business degree first. Why incur all that debt? I already know how to run the place. I'm not thrilled about owning the business, but it makes a decent living. I don't know what else I'd do, but this thought scares me: My dad is going to be hanging around getting in my hair for the next 20 years because he's too young to quit. I am only 17 I don't know what to do I'm an Unwilling Apprentice for my dads Aspirations.My dad is making me take over the family business? I need some advice please?
Well, you must stand up and become a man. You only get one go round in this world, so don't sell out your working life because dad wants somebody to take over his beloved business. If necessary, he can find another prot茅g茅 and the business will carry on. In fact your own personal relationship might end up being better because you aren't so closely connected and emotional about disagreements within the business. Is dad holding the purse strings for your education? Don't go for that deal. Tell your dad you're not sure how you feel about taking over his business and you will go to school, with bursaries and loans and scholarships, and take whatever truly interests you. Dad may not agree with you, but he will respect you.My dad is making me take over the family business? I need some advice please?
You are almost an adult legally.





YOU control your own life. YOU have the power to decide to do something else. It may mean you have to work harder, support yourself financially through school, etc. But YOU are the only one who can make the decision of what you want to do. Your dad may be mad at you in the short term, but if he is anything of a decent parent, he wont stay mad forever.





While it certainly didnt involve a family business, I let my parents dictate what I did right after high school and what I majored in and where I went to college and so on. I went with their decisions because they had me convinced I couldnt make it on my own and if I didnt do it the way they wanted, they werent gonna help me. (sure, you can go to a different school but you cant take your car if you do... sure, you can live on campus but we wont be helping you financially if you do, etc)





To this day, I regret it. It was a mistake, and it was the worst thing I could have ever done. I wasnt happy, and because I wasnt happy I ended up not caring and screwing it all up. I have no way of knowing, but I wonder if I had been able to do what I wanted with college instead of what they wanted, if the the out come would have been different.





My mom was upset when I screwed it all up and decided that wasnt what I wanted. But, it didnt last forever.
you can always say NO. its allowed in this country. beware of what you would be giving up though. a lt of people would like the security of not just a job but ownershiop in the company
First off, he wants you to go to college and earn a degree in business because that way you will know what you are doing and will be educated in making wise decisions, if you were to not go to college then you would not know anything and probably run the business into the ground, my husband took over his fathers company after receiving his MBA. Secondly, if this is not what you want to do then don't do it! Do what makes you happy and though it might disappoint your parents, they'll get over it and love you no matter what. Believe me I went through the exact same thing with my parents, and now 9 years later they couldn't be happier, they are happy as long as you are happy. Ideally my husband would love if one of our kids took over the company but if they do not then we understand. The only thing parents want of their children to be happy, honestly listen to me, I'm a mom. Do not get pressured into something you don't want to do, whether it be your parents or anyone else. There is no point being miserable all your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment