Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm searching for Jewish ancestry in my family (Kozuch), what is your advice?

got curious and decided to Google my surname, Kozuch, and I ended up on Jewish geneology sites and holocaust articles and documents where my surname came up frequently. Kozuch apparently is a Polish-Ukrainian Jewish name from the looks of it. What is the best way to discover my ancestry? My grandfather's mother was Polish and his father was Russian, I believe (he passed on Kozuch to my father and then me). I don't know when his parents immigrated here. I'm still yet to get in touch with them to ask... talking about family is very painful for them for various reasons. If anyone has advice or ideas, or know anything about Kozuch, please let me know. Answers from Jewish people are especially appreciated. THANK YOU!I'm searching for Jewish ancestry in my family (Kozuch), what is your advice?
You could try joining ancestry.com at least for a while. They might or might not have any of your ancestors in their regular areas but they do give you access to their immigration records if you are a member. I have ancestors that came here around 1910 and you can see the ship record of their names and ages and city of origin and even see pictures of the ships once you find out the ship name.





Another thing to try is to go to a genealogy site that has people leaving messages about this or that name. If you're a member, you can leave such a message and someday, someone may write you a note.





As the person above me said, get anyone who is elderly to tell you at least all the names and years born that they know. Women's maiden names are difficult but just as important as the men's names. :-) Get any and all pictures you can get. Borrow them if you can, and use a computer to scan them all! Use a photo editor to make a better copy and return that with the original to encourage people to lend you the pictures.





You might also try to find online white pages from eastern European countries.I'm searching for Jewish ancestry in my family (Kozuch), what is your advice?
That is so neat.





Below are two sites that may help you. The third site maybe not so much.





http://www.bh.org.il/database-articles.a…


http://jewishwebindex.com/names.htm





http://www.scotlandroyalty.org/royal-gen…





Good luck and take care!
Do you KNOW your Jewish?





Because my neighbor's last name is 'Cohen', and that guy is as Hindu as they come. I also had a calculus teacher in High School named Dr. Greenburg. He was a black guy from Zimbabwe.








you don't necessarily HAVE to be Jewish.
May the Holy LORD YAHWEH stand in support of you in your effort and help you to reach your ancestral Fold safe . Amen .. Your situation makes me also shed tears . I will continue to pray for you and for your family ... SHALOM ..!





( Monday ,November 9,2009 )
I hate to plug a commercial website which runs T.V. ads every 15 minutes, but I found pictures of my grandfather within a minute of clicking on Ancestry.com without paying a cent.
Either way, you would need to convert if you want to be Jewish because even paperwork from generations long ago would not be available.
My dad and I did the genealogy for his family (of Polish and Russian Jewish descent) a few years ago, and were able to trace it back quite far. I definitely understand that it is difficult for the elderly members to discuss the lost members of the family, but you probably will benefit from trying to talk to them. My great grandfather was quite wealthy, so for the Polish side we have a lot of photos which helped. At least you could ask your family for any photos or paper documents they might have.





Good luck! You might also get better responses if you post this in Genealogy.
Hi





Try these Sites.





http://boards.ancestry.ca/localities.cee…





http://www.jewishgen.org/





Ellis Island


http://www.ellisisland.org/





Keep Going. Check Out Towns. areas where Your family lived and post them re Sites.. You will find many





Im Christian but many frin Eastern European have Jewish Roots


I found my ansestors form Jewish Sites Too





Listen Remember anything your parents said and apply it. For instance my father named a distant uncle of his in Ukraine and I gogle it and found him ( my Great Uncle ) etc. and relayed all.





That is one way. too





Momories.


This Site is Worldwide and Click . Ukraine and Poland . Great info too


http://www.searchforancestors.com/mormon…








Good Luck
  • beauty blog
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment