Monday, August 23, 2010

Family debate about Vampires....any advice?

My family and I are Catholics, a form of Christianity. We don’t celebrate Halloween. My father believes the holiday is an evil holiday based around the devil. I couldn’t agree more, but sometimes…he takes it to a bit of an extreme. Last year the series ‘Twilight’ became one of the most talked about subjects in town…or at least for girls in their teens. When I told my dad I was going to buy the Twilight books he asked what is was about. I made the mistake of describing the series with one simple word…vampires. Ever since then we’ve been battling about it, and that was almost a year ago. The thing is, he has no real reason why I can’t watch it. It makes him sound very hypocritical and idiotic when he argues about it. Mostly because he used to watch the ‘Munsters’ and other vampire shows. Of course it wasn’t a problem…because that was “different.” See what I meant by, hypocritical?


Twilight had become the talk of the church, too. Kids wore ‘Bella%26amp;Edward’ T-shirts and what not. He believes that vampires are a symbol of evil, a symbol of the devil. I tried explaining to him the plot of the story. “It’s not a horror, they’re vegetarian vampires! He falls in love with a human girl. It’s a romance…a Romeo and Juliet sorta thing”. This gave him another point to use against me. “Good vampires?? Unbelievable! You see, Sabrina? That is the reason you are forbidden to be involved in this series. They are trying to brainwash kids into believing that vampires are good, and therefore, so is the devil!” He would say. I would sigh and merely roll my eyes. He had no idea what he was talking about. Even the priest at our church said the series was appropriate and yet he refused to listen. He is probably the most stubborn man in the world.


I would practically beg him to allow me to watch and read the series. By this time the movie had come out and all of the books had already been around for a while. So one day I decided enough was enough. I spent three days at a friend of mines house. We watched Twilight and I read the second book in the series, New Moon. From the moment I saw that movie I knew in my heart I had to convince him…someway, somehow. So I involved my mother in the debate. She always broke down at my begging. I think the real reason my father was afraid to allow me to watch the movie was the fact that I would turn gothic or something. Which was obviously not going to happen. For one, Twilight had nothing punk or gothic about it. And two, I’m absolutely petrified of any gothic creature on the face of the planet.


After a while my mother convinced him that she would watch the movie and if she approved, I would be able to watch it. Since he still refused to be supporters of the series my mom watched it alone and also fell in love with the series. Little did she know that when she gave me the news I had already seen the movie 4 times before then. I found a few copies for free on the internet, and then the time I watched it twice at my friend’s house. That time we had also watched the behind the scenes and cast commentaries. I was very knowledgeable about the series already. I was, however, very excited to not have to sneak around and watch it. So that afternoon my mom and I watched the movie together. She fell in love with it and I fell even deeper for it. I was hooked.


A week later we went to our local bookstore and bought books number 2 and 3. I had already read the second, but a refresher certainly wouldn’t help. My father was…unaware, that we purchased the books. To him I was simply reading. For the next three days I wouldn’t put the books down…I stayed up all night and all day reading. We went to a baseball game and I read. We went to the grocery store and I read as we walked. Everywhere we went, I read. Not that I was obsessed or addicted, I just preferred to stay in the tiny town of Forks with Bella, Edward, and the rest of the gang than live my life. On the third night, at around midnight when I was reading Eclipse, the third book in the series, he came into my room to tell me goodnight. He said, “Your really enjoying that book. huh?” He hadn’t noticed that there were two books and he most certainly was unaware that they had anything to do with Twilight. I nodded my head yes, not tempted to say anymore. I wasn’t exactly lying, just not sharing everything. But who ever said I had to share everything?


Then he asked what I wish he hadn’t…what book is it? Instead of saying ‘Eclipse’ I said “Twilight the third”. Which, as stupid as you may think it was to call it Twilight, it saved me from saying the word vampire, which would have made him angrier. As I said ‘Twilight’ I smiled at him, hoping that he wouldn’t take them away from me because I was enjoying them so much. He was furious. But he didn’t say anything more. He left the room after that. Then this morning when he came in to tell me good morning and I was still reading he made no attempt to hide his irritation, but still said nothing. Later he got intoFamily debate about Vampires....any advice?
Vampires are fictional creatures that can not hurt anyone.


They are not associated with the devil or demonic


possession at all. The person who should be talking with


your dad is your church pastor. Your dad has some


misconceptions and could probably benefit from some


more earthly intervention. Twilight is for entertainment


purposes only. It does not promote or encourage devil


worship. If your faith in God is strong enough then this


book should not be a threat to that faith. (Have your father read this answer) I work in a public school middle school


library. Twilight and all of the other books that came out


following Twilight were very popular and I never saw


any student become a devil or demon worshiper after reading the books. The books are fiction and quite safe. Hope this helps.Family debate about Vampires....any advice?
http://movienow.biz/details/mo…

Report Abuse



HAHAHAHA im happy im jewish. and dont really care for religion much.
If your dad doesn't want you to read the books, then why read them around him? There's no reason to turn it into a family debate as you call it... there are way more serious things to start ';family debates'; over (divorces, drug abuse, accidents, etc.) It's almost like you are trying to get a reaction from your dad on purpose by reading them around him and then smiling and going, ';Twilight'; when he asked what you were reading. Even if you say you're not addicted, the fact that you said constantly read the books because would rather live in a fictional vampire world than live your life is a pretty sad statement. Since your dad doesn't want you reading Twilight, why not take that opportunity to explore works of literature that are actually worth reading?
i had neighbors who were Catholics and weren't allowed to celebrate halloween....but i am a fan of twilight also, and like you, i was hooked...i would read from the moment i waked up to the minute i go to sleep...i like reading those fantasy books, my imagination went to a different world with edward and bella and everyone else and i preferred that than reality....anyways, twilight is not horrible..it doesn't promote evil and the characters don't resemble the devil...it's just a romane novel that girls like to escape to and live in a world where ';the ideal man'; really exists...since your dad didn't get really mad just irritated, i would just keep on reading them...he'll lighten up eventally..good luck
this is problem with religion, the closed minds! halloween is NOT an evil holiday based around the devil, that's bigotry and lack of understanding. just like jesus is NOT the reason for the season. ancient christianity, in an effort to include pagans in their religion, chose december 25 as the day to celebrate his birth due to it's close proximity to the pagan solstice. but onto your problem. some believe that vampires instead of being evil, are infected by a disease which causes the blood to die, put simply. that's why they need new blood to replace it. they also claim that vampires do not need to kill, but like us humans there are both good and evil ones. but none of that matters because as i see it, your father has already closed his mind to debate. he's made up his mind and if god himself came down and disagreed, he would call him an evil liar. i'm not sure what your question was since you were cut off, but if it was about changing his mind, i'm sorry to say you have no chance! in order to change it, he'd have to open it and he's already made his up, regardless of facts!
Halloween is not an evil holiday based upon the devil. I'm sorry but what is the question? You go on and on about Twilight series and how you ';fell in love'; with them, and stayed up reading them. Yes, the series is good, but you sound a bit obsessed. I don't understand how your mom could love the movies/books, because she is an adult and the book are fantasy/romance. Your father sounds ignorant, for him to be furious over some fictional book, I mean who cares if there are vampires in the book. There mise-well be fairies in the book because neither are real. Vampires are not a symbol or the devil, they aren't real, so how could your father be mad about it? Maybe, because you are reading the Twilight Saga as if it were your Bible or something. In my opinion I think this is ridiculous. Not just your father and mother. I think you are being ridiculous because the way you are reading Twilight books. I mean you obviously have nothing better to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment