Thursday, July 29, 2010

Almost homeless, please give me some advice about what my family should do?

Okay this is really going to be sort of long but it's a really big problem so please, please help me out in any way you possibly can, the longer and more thorough your answer the better. I will reward 10 points. and you can email me too my email is august0wind@yahoo.com . I want to cry right now to be honest. Everything in my life has been so bad since last year.





Okay. I'll try to make this as short as possible. All my life my family has been my dad, mom, and sister (she's 16. I'm 19. I'm attending a community college right now) Last year when I was 18 my father died of cancer. My dad used to be the one who paid all our bills. We lived well with my father, now we're in the working poor. My mom doesn't have a degree and so now we're broke. I mean really broke. My dad was paying for our house so we no longer have a house, my mom is desperately trying to sell our old house as the bills just pile on.





Now we're living with my mom's boyfriend whom my mom has not known all that long but we're leaning on for support. We live in his house. He is an a $ $ hole. He told my mom apparently that we can stay for a year. Today she came home crying and he was yelling at her about total BS. Saying he is going to kick us out of the house and then we won't have a place to go to. I don't trust this man and I really think he will lose it and kick us out for good. He's not my father and to be honest we don't know him all that well and after seeing him treat my mother like a piece of s h !t I want to kill him.





I have an old piano at my old house. It's a grand piano, my dad bought it for $20k and I'm hoping to get $13,000 for it at least. I thought I could sell furniture and some things so that we can gather a few thousand dollars and get a cheap house that would be my mom's new house.





What I'm going through is the most horrible thing I've gone through in my life and please if you have a word of advice, on how to help my mom sell the house, how to sell the furniture, the piano, if there is a place my family could go to to stay (I live in northeast Pennsylvania in the USA) it would be such a big help. Thank you for reading this. I won't give best answer to the person who gives me an answer that is a sentence long. Give me as much as you can possibly give, anything, anything you can think of, this is my life.Almost homeless, please give me some advice about what my family should do?
Craigslist is free... use it to sell the piano OR see if there is a music store or music school nearby (within 30-60 miles?) that might buy it for what it is worth. You can't sell a piano like that at a garage sale. Same for any other fairly valuable furniture or items that you have -- sell on craigslist or eBay or pawn shop or antique store.





You don't mention if you are working. I know you are attending community college, but that's no excuse not to work. I worked full-time all my years of college and put myself through school. It may not be easy, and you might have to take a semester off now and then (it took me 6 years to complete my 4-year BA degree). But it is possible. I don't know what the job opportunities are like in your area, but even if you have to do some yard work or baby sitting or something (again, I suggest craigslist) to make a few extra bucks. Same for your sister. I know lots of people who worked while in high school.





Assess your finances, make a budget, and look at housing costs in your area. Start saving toward a ';first and last'; month's rent on a small apartment. If you have to get a 2-bedroom, do it. And, why can't you live in the old house until it is sold?





Your mom can still get a job, of SOME kind, without a degree, and maybe between the three of you, you'll be able to scrape enough together to get out of the ******'s house. And your mom could take some community college, too, or job training courses. You're never too old.





My heart goes out to you, having just so recently lost your dad, and then having to deal with this when you should be enjoying your life and worrying about nothing but exams... but you will get through it! Let it bring you, your mom and sister closer together, work together, and convince her that she doesn't have to rely on a boyfriend (especially a lousy one). I wish you all the best.Almost homeless, please give me some advice about what my family should do?
i am sorry your dad died and things are rough you have a story why not contact the news paper asking for help have them do a help story there are homless shelters to help people get on their feet and theres nothing to be ashamed of i wish you were my neighbors i give you food i dont want no 1 starving try churches for help red cross salvation army
you should have a garage sell of all the stuff at your old house. then try to find a friend to stay with for a while. and pay for rent. look for a job so can save up for an apartment for you and sister and mommy. and if that doesn't should go stay with a relative that loves you.


did i help thats what i would do.
Unfortunately things are very very grim in America. Thanks to the sub-prime crisis the chances of your Mum selling her house are very low. You say that your Mum still has her house so I am assuming the bank has not repossessed it. The best thing you could all do is move back there and all pull together to pay off the mortgage. You need to be working more hours and so does your sister. I wouldn't hold out too much hope about selling the piano for anything close to what it is worth. Nobody has any money at present. I really feel for you. There are millions of people in the same boat. I have been laid off from my job but thankfully my house is paid off so I own it outright otherwise I would be in the same boat. You need to make your sister understand that these are crises times and until the economy and conditions improve you all need to work together to survive. If moving back to the house is really really not an option then renting somewhere should be reasonalbly cheap as the house prices have plummeted.
So, look for a full time job, other full time students work full time and go to school full time...I did, my daughter does. Cut back on spending habits, the internet costs money you know. Your mother needs to light a fire under your sister's butt to get a part time job. She wouldn't be so irresponsible if she had been TAUGHT to be responsible from the beginning. You all spoiled yourselves by relying on your father for everything. And your mother is relying on this boy friend of her's the same way. THERE is your problem right there, you expect MEN to get you out of trouble. Stop depending on other people and take care of yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment