Thursday, July 29, 2010

I have a family member who is a drug addict (pills). I need advice on how my family and I can help?

This person has been addicted to perscription drugs/pain killers for a few years, due to a past surgery. This persons life has done a complete 180. Bankruptcy, money issues, health problems, weight loss, family/personal issues have developed. I no longer live in my home state, but am visiting soon. I want to help my family member and inform my family of the best way for them to help this person. At the moment, none of them seems to be doing anything and they are ignoring the problem. This person has claimed they are doing outpatient rehab, taking methadone to overcome the pill addiction. Methadone is a pill too and seems like a weird choice for a pill addict to use for recovery.Has anyone overcame painkiller addiction? Or has anyone went through this with a family member? I just want to know how to approach the addict and my family in the most helpful way possible. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.I have a family member who is a drug addict (pills). I need advice on how my family and I can help?
You can go to a judge and try for a marchemtn act which will court order them into a treatment facility, also try taking them to a pain management doctor that can use steriod injections, or stimulation therapy instead of prescibing narcotics.I have a family member who is a drug addict (pills). I need advice on how my family and I can help?
It is admirable that you and your family want to help this person but you need to learn more before you can be of any help. Please contact Al-anon to learn about the disease of addiction and your part in helping/letting go of this problem. I have been in recovery for over 15 years. Nothing anyone could have done would have made any difference to me. I had to be willing to get the help that I needed and to continue to live a sober/drug free life. You can also contact Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcodics Anonymous for more information. Please know that addiction is a disease, not a personal failing.
My family had to do an intervention with my nephew who was addicted to crystal. Tough love can help the situation, but sometimes (depending on the person) it can make it worse. Whatever you do, do not enable this person by giving them money or covering for them for little things. People who are addicted will cheat and steal from ANYONE. Even if they are normally a wonderful person. One thing that I can stress to you is that a person will not change if they do not want to. You can only try for so long before it gets you down too. Don't let that happen. Good luck to you and your family.
Addiction is like any other illness and can be overcome. The individual has to realize they have a problem and are putting your family in crisis, if they don't havce thiis self realization then your wasting your time. They also must want to get treatment, self treat and recover. Methedone is merely exchanging one addiction for another, it has been the modality used for adddicts for so long that it really needs another work over. Some people have chronic pain and if that is the case then the person with the pain needs to seek out a pain manager and other options besides opiates or narcotics. It is a hard road I speak from experience, I have been pain killer free for three months, it was tough at first but now it is much better and I don't have all the side effects of the narcotics, constipation, moodiness,memory loss. It wasn't easy but my method was direct and with resolve, I quit cold turkey. My husband had made a comment to me about the medication and it set in my craw sideways, it must have had a tingle of truth to it cause it hurt. I stopped that day because of the stigma and label I was making for myself. Be firm, be supportive, mostly be honest and straight up with the addict, it's the only way to get on the road of recovery or at leastr compromise. Good luck to you all and God Bless you with the grace and blessings for a solution.
Hi. I would like to apologize ahead of time. I know this will be a lengthy ‘answer’, as what I’ve learned, pertaining to your question, is very important and powerful, and, is changing lives. First and foremost I’d like to tell you I feel for you. I have been connected to addiction on several levels; myself, family members, friends, and now, people I meet through what I do.


Personally, ONE of my addictions was smoking. I quit, only once, 17 years ago. I didn't realize I ‘needed’ to quit prior to the one time I tried and succeeded. Then, the hype not to smoke wasn't as prevalent as it is these days. I was a happy smoker/addict, content within myself that I wasn't harming anyone else. (I didn't smoke in the house around my children for instance.) I quit for someone else. Another 'Mom' that had children attending the same daycare as mine, kept talking about how her doctor said she’d die if she didn't quit smoking. Something(?) was wrong, more serious than the average person that shouldn’t smoke. One day I went to her and asked if she would like me to quit with her. She jumped at the opportunity to have such support. My logic was, after I made the decision, 'No one was going to tell me I couldn't!' I haven't smoked since. It IS a matter of will.


Addictions of others around me have included; alcohol, and, drugs; counter, prescription and illegal. Relating to your query, 'Why give/ add the very thing into your body that you are trying to quit'; makes no logical sense to me either. To quit smoking, people will use patches and gum that put nicotine into their body, and, meds that you refer to, do the same. Alcoholism on the other hand, is handled differently, they quit putting it ‘in’ - makes more sense!


What ‘most’ fail to realize, is that ALL addictions relate back to something. Sure, credence is lent to chemical deficiency or efficiency, BUT, more importantly, ALL addictions come from a different place. The mind. You must get to the root to make lasting changes. How many times do you hear that people have spent more than one session in rehab?!? It often, isn’t a permanent solution.


The mind is a very powerful tool, both to detriment and compliment. Sometimes it comes from a place as basic as loneliness. (I don't mean that to sound derogatory by any means, I had suffered severe adverse effects from it myself, in the past). There are many other reasons too; guilt, grief, anxiety, etc. The point is; one has to get to the root, before the 'addiction' of choice is no longer necessary, required, or desired, whether they believe there is a problem, or not. Since your relative is experiencing so many adversities in their life, then most certainly, it goes deeper, and far beyond the cause and effect of the pills. The addiction is now an excuse of sorts, in their mind, to falter in many ways.


I am not on this site to promote myself in any way. Having said that, my life path over the last seven years has taken me from devastating, life altering events, to learning how and what to do with what affects me. I have been introduced to many wonderful people that have offered knowledge, and, helped me along my way, as a result. I now have a 'solution' that is helping many people: with problems such as; addiction, anger, anxiety, behaviour, concentration, control, depression, energy, grief, goals, health, knowledge, illness, motivation, relationships, stress, suicide, power, weight, and so on. I don't claim to be the 'be all and end all', but I have learned a great many things, since I've needed to. Necessity IS the mother of invention.


My sister took her own life in 2005, and although I let go of regret very easily now, if I was to have a regret, it would be that I didn't understand just how powerful this information I have is, in time to help her. Since then, my first experience: A man introduced to me through my daughter; after a phone call from her, stating there was a man she knew that needed to talk to me, asking, could she give him my phone number. He came to see me one night at about 8:00 and didn't leave until about 2:00 a.m. We just talked. The right words are very powerful. His situation was: at 39 years of age, he and his wife had been together since they were both 13. Early December, she died in his arms from a brain aneurysm. He was understandably devastated. They had a little girl, almost five at the time, and through grief for his wife, he would do things like; lighting a candle beside her picture and calling the little girl to 'come and see Mommy!' He thought constantly of committing suicide, to be with her. He paid very little positive attention to their daughter, who by all rights was going through her own grief. Not a healthy environment for the little one. When he left that night, he gave me a hug, which I understood later, was not something he normally did.


The next day the man's brother called me to tell me as a result of speaking with me, his brother had slept through the night, for the first time since his wife's passing. (This was late January.) About a week later, during a large family gathering, the man reverted into a heavy depression, because she wasn’t there. He called me and I welcomed him to come back, and talk again. From about 8:30 p.m. until 9:30 the next morning, we talked. A week or so later, he came to me with flowers, another hug and heart felt thank-you(s). He told me; 'Thanks to you, I now know what I have to do... raise my daughter to be the kind of person, and eventually, the Mom, my wife was.” I have been in contact with him several times since, and he is doing well. Again, I don’t claim to be a miracle worker, I’ve just learned the right words that seem to help. That was the first of many more experiences I’ve had to date. It was the beginning, when I knew I had help others.


Sorry if that was long winded but I would like to get my point across, that it was speaking to him, changing his way of thinking, that helped him. There is power in ‘positive words’, now documented. As is, ‘the power of laughter in healing’, is now widely accepted.


As in suicide, all addictions come from a place that needs to be determined. The easiest way, and quickest, to accomplish that, is to help the mind be healthy enough to know that the addiction is 'wrong', for whatever reason. The answer as to why it was there will come, as a result of healing the mind, and therefore, ‘attitude towards’. Their actions and reactions to the life they lead, adjust, by changing their view of themselves, etc., followed by, the realization that they have many choices that don't include whatever addiction they suffered from. I know, that sounds too simple, or, ‘been there, tried that’, but let me assure you, I’ve seen results.


Please, try to understand how powerful the mind really is. It governs absolutely everything we say and do, and is the basis for a healthy life, decidedly, one that does or doesn’t include addiction, or other afflictions.


Again, I am here to offer advice, which always comes from an experience I’ve had, or know of. It is completely up to you whether you take advantage of, or benefit, beyond this ‘answer’, via my CD. I’m NOT here to promote myself, but when I hear a query such as yours, I feel it is my mission as a responsible person to help, to offer you, what I have learned. You have the right to hear any and all information, and then, armed with knowledge, decide for yourself what is right for you. Essentially, that is why you are here, and, what you are asking for, advice and information through others. I believe I can help.


I can tell you, I’ve learned how valuable this information is for me, and now, I am truly 'mind' boggled by the major positive effect it has had on so many, for so many different reasons. Through others, I now realize it works so well, because it 'speaks' to each person and their individual needs and desires. The CD is 30 minutes long and I have some folks telling me they listen to it 6 and 7 times a day. Before sleep, in the car, during exercise/ relaxation sessions; I crank it while I do my housework! It was originally intended to be meditation, but has become far more motivational. It is not like anything you have heard before. During the 30 minutes, I speak on 17 areas that cover pretty much everything one 'deals' with in life. I can give you testimonials that describe results varying to such a degree, I couldn't possibly have thought of all of them myself.


When someone asks me, 'Will it help with.... ' If I haven't had or heard of the specific problem, my response is always the same, 'I believe it will.' It is very basic in it’s concept, but, it IS literally changing people’s lives. IF, you are interested in it, or, would simply like to talk further, please feel free to contact/e-mail me at powercenters17@yahoo.ca I would be more than happy to speak with your relative too, if you like. You said the rest of the family isn’t doing anything - ignoring the problem. Try not to blame them, it is easy to become exasperated when no solution seems to be available. All the very best, and. I do hope to hear from you. There are other options we can discuss, at length, details I prefer not to impart in such a public forum. The option to contact me, is open to anyone reading this 'answer'. Take care.


I am confident, the very reason I gain knowledge is to pass it on and help others. I would love to help you and your situation, and in that regard, I offer this as well - for energy, mind health, and so much more pertaining to overall health, have a look at the testimonials on this website; www.maxgxl.com/bella
Do NOT wait for them to hit rock bottom! No disrespect to the other person trying to help, but this is commonly given advice that should not be followed. It is absolutely possible to help before this point in their addiction. Many addicts will never hit rock bottom before their abuse has fatal consequences. Accidental overdose and death are common.





I would suggest contacting Narconon International. They are an international organization dedicated to drug prevention, education, and recovery. They will be able to direct you to the nearest place where you can find help for your family member. Their website is www.narconon.org.





I hope that this information is helpful. Please encourage your family to come together as a united front to help the family member. Support is vital. Good luck.





~~~~Psychology Major
u need 2 hit rock bottom 2 help urself and it sounds like the person in question is not fully comitted 2 get clean if he or she is doing outpatient programand still on methodone i know many people that have tried that way but its not a long term solution 2 recovery u can just be there 4 support 4 them as they will already feel lonely and full of fear u can talk 2 them but not pressure them into anything let them make there own choices 2 be given the blessing of true recovery u need 2 be free of all mind altering chemicals this is all medications this means pills.drugs.alcohol.i was in addiction for 25years am now clean 5 years i had family support i went into long term rehab also i do na meetings there are web sits that can help u and ur family of the understanding of ur family member in addiction one sit is www.adin.com.au ur family and u need 2 understad wat this person is going throu also it will give use good understanding on the situation i hope this helps god bless
tough love, seriously. unitl they hit rock bottom %26amp;wanna change themself, it does no good to interfere.
it doesn't have to be so extreme.


Understanding the person is important, and not enabling them is also useful. It can come down to 'how' you enable them.


I recently decided to discontinue all pharmaceutical medications to only realize that after I have been on them so long, it almost seems impossible. But also realize that the decisions I've made, and who I ended up choosing to be with, under the influence, make my condition worse. I also know that it is sometimes worth being on the drugs. I've heard heroin takes a week to recover from, and then it's fairly smooth sailing. I'm sure there is a taper method for getting off methadone. A cold turkey method could work, but in my case, with legal pharmaceuticals, it's seemed to cause permanent nerve damage. But the clarity of mind that comes with being drug free is an incredible reward.





It is a very rough balancing act, and recovery can take years. Everyone involved needs to weigh out the pros and cons of putting money into recovery.





Relocating can actually help tremendously, but helping this person understand and educate themselves is probably #1.


SHAME is a very good tool in helping them get started, but helping them remember who they can be again is jet fuel.





Understand, drug free may not be their choice, but rules and boundaries must be set if they want help from anyone. Relationships are rough, but adding or removing drugs can push your limits.


Don't ever lie to a drug addict, always be upfront. Finger pointing is easy, I know.


If they are willing to accept treatment, try getting them interested in researching their condition, and just getting them back to work. I found loads of people online who are in the same shoes as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment