Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I need advice on helping a friend/love interest with family, security issues?

Well, I've known him a year actually, but recently we've been spending a lot more time together. We aren't dating officially yet, just getting to know each other better now that school's started again, but there's obvious attraction.





I'm 20, he's 20...we both attend college together, but live at home. He lives with his mom who's a bit unpredictable and, from the sounds of it, very mean at times. (His dad lives out of state.) He has a good job and is planning to move out as soon as he can, but there are always setbacks so who knows when that will be.





He always seems super happy when we're just hanging out and or at school, and he can always make me--or literally anybody--laugh.





But lately since we've been hanging out more, he's opening more--and he has some issues beneath the surface that are pretty un-fun. He's a lot needier than I thought, which I can only attribute to his family/home life.





He sent a frustrated text to me tonight, and I told him if he needs anything to let me know, and immediately he sent a text saying that he needs everything: friendship, stability, support, sanctuary, and that the list is never ending. (I didn't expect to hear ';i need everything';, and I have to admit that worried me. i havent responded yet.)





I've always been the friend that listens to problems, agrees with friends' rants, ho hum, blah blah...but I've never been in a relationship with someone with serious issues.





So, the question boils down to ';what do i do?'; ....become super involved and embrace his every need? just stand on the side and pat his back occasionally? Just listen?I need advice on helping a friend/love interest with family, security issues?
um.. maybe be his shoulder to cry on





or if you cant handle his problems tell him you dont want to know!!





but dont leave him out to dry.. be there for him only if you want to not only because you feel obligated





x

No comments:

Post a Comment