Thursday, July 29, 2010

Please help! I need advice from my Y!A family!?

I signed up to give blood, and there is no way I am going to back out of this but I am terrified of needles and I have been hearing horror stories all day about ho much it hurts! So can you make me feel better, tell some of your stories, give advice, thank you!





Natalie





Oh, and I singed up to get over my fear of needles and save three lives!!Please help! I need advice from my Y!A family!?
I'm a phlebotomist. When I took the class I was SO scared of needles but since I have taken the class I am no longer scared of needles. I had no idea when I took the class that we practiced on each other LoL. The worst part is the finger stick to check your iron. I hate that part, I freaked out SO bad but the needles are so small now (for the finger stick) they don't require as much blood. I didn't even feel the stick....also, the needles that go into your arm are huge, it's like a coffee straw cut off that goes in there BUT the bevel is so large (it looks scary) but since it's so open it means it's sharper so you don't feel it as much. Honestly the hardest part about giving blood is this feeling you have right now and I get it when I donate blood, I don't like seeing my own blood coming out of my body. When I gave blood last time, the lady missed my vein and had to redirect and find it and I didn't even feel the needle under my skin.





I promise, it's not nearly as bad as people make it sound. It's great that you are giving blood ! It's going to be okay :)Please help! I need advice from my Y!A family!?
Natalie, that is really nice of you that you signed up, that was the heard part and the easy part is donating it. Don't worry it doesn't hurt as much as you think. I have donated since I was about 12. What I do is that when they start cleaning my arm with alcohol, I look the opposite side from the needle. They just take out like 2-4 little tubes. It doesn't hurt while your sitting and waiting, only that if you don't eat right sometimes you feel a little light, but nothing so scary. And the best part is when people see your band-aid and ask, what happened? And you respond, ';Oh is because I donated blood.'; It's a great feeling. Don't worry, nothing bad will happen and I would love for you to tell me how did it go. And I don't want to wish you good luck, like most people would. I want to tell you Congratulations for giving. Something many people won't do. Congrats.
Well, you are saving lives, right? Three whole lives!!!!! That is such a difference. Plus, the people who told you horror stories are fakers, needles don't hurt that badly. It's like a pinch from fifth grade. You scream ';Ow!'; Then it's over. They also give you sugar cookies and juice in the end to get you pumping. Cookies! Juice! You gotta love that!
Don't worry. The best thing to do is not to watch, because you will freak out with how much blood they're taking. But don't worry about that because your cells can replace it in like, an hour. The needle doesn't hurt.. just a little pinch. I went and I was really scared, and then they were cleaning my arm before they did it, and they stuck the needle in and i thought they were still cleaning my arm! hahaha. You don't even notice. Once the needle is in, it will take a few minutes to get all the blood they need, but it won't be uncomfortable.. you won't even notice the blood leaving your body.


But yeah, don't watch. if you're really worried, ask if you can have someone come with you and talk to you to distract you.


Good luck!
It doesn't hurt. Have you ever had a blood draw from a doctor? It's the same size needle! They stick it in your arm and you lay back while they collect from you. It does take a while. But usually after wards you get cookies or some sort of juice and snack deal.It will be ok just don't watch when they first stick it in. You can look after it is in if you want to.





BTW it is a very selfless act for you to donate. And thank you i'm sure those 3 people will appreciate it!
well it doesnt hurt and you will be happy you did it afterwards my sister is terrified of needles and she even kicked a docter in his private area cuz he tried to give her a shot and she always gets blood tooken out and its like she doesnt even feel it i ask her if it hurts ad she says it feels like a mosquito bite
i dont like them either, but i had a needle in my arm for the whole night and half of the next day when i had surgery, and apart from when it went in, it didnt hurt. so im sure you can handle 20mins :) the pain will pass, but you will always feel good about what youre doing here.
Well, those idiots who told you stories are messed up. It does NOT hurt a bit. Ok, I've been FREAKED OUT by needles my whole life, and when I did the same thing u did, I was like : ';OK, you can do it now...'


and they said: ';We already did';. And you get free food after. I got apple juice and a cookie. IT DOES NOT HURT! JUST DONT LOOK!
first dont look its only going to be a pinch its safe and yes you WILL SAVE A LIFE possibly a baby or your neighbor or me im sure you have had more pain in your life just take a breath and dont look thank you in advance!!
Good for you!





There was a blood drive in my building today. One of my co-workers gave, and something happened to his arm and he has a huge bloody bruise under his skin. I admire his sacrifice.





Good luck!
Usually it helps to close your eyes tight and count backwards from 100 or maybe say the alphabets backwards from Z. Anything that will distract you from your shot.
Save the lives and remember that the pain goes away more quickly than the memory that you helped someone in need.
think about it this way... go through a tiny bit of pain and save a few lives!!!!


just remember if you do good actions, good actions is what you will get!!!!
um dont hold ur breath because you will pass out and dont get up too fast and if you do and feel woozy lol just lay back down for a bit. :) good luck
I wouldn't take them. They make me faint. If you have a phobia of blood, like myself, avoid giving blood.
Good then quit being such a big baby about it!
Just do it like NIKE
relax, is not hurt!
think of it this way: you're not going to die.
  • ink cartridge
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment