Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'm putting 2gather a family Genealogy book for family members can u offer me any advice I'm over whelmed

I'm working to put together a book for the family. But I think I'm going to have to do family by family on some of them (because I have a lot of information) Alot, tons, mega, super, enormous, gianticas etc.I'm putting 2gather a family Genealogy book for family members can u offer me any advice I'm over whelmed
Well let see here. Choices,Choices,Choices. Are you wanting themes or Idear's.


1.Religious Theme if thats your boat.


2.Military Theme if your family served alot.


3.Farming Theme if they were farmers.


4.Pioneer theme if they were Pioneers.


5.Academic theme if your family were teachers.


6. Everyday heroes,for the silent but steady folks.


Here's an Idea you could break it down by themes and then fit the stories from each multipal families into those themes.


I would go with individuals themes and then place families relevant to those themes in those catagories rather than going family by family. Thats my input good luck on your book and your journey.I'm putting 2gather a family Genealogy book for family members can u offer me any advice I'm over whelmed
I printed up tons of things after I entered them into Family Tree Maker and after mulling and trying to find things, just decided to put everything in alphabetical order so I could find them easily.





My aunt sat down with the same material after we copied mine and she put hers in family order ~ but if people don't know what line someone is in, they aren't going to find them without going through page after page because there isn't any order to it.





I have a cousin who has been working on my dad's side and she has tons of information and is printing the books and assembling them at home so I'm anxious to see what she has done when I see her in July and buy my copy (copies). She had 5 - 3'; notebooks when I saw her two years ago so I'm not sure what she has now. It will be interesting to say the least.





I believe she also has everything alphabetized for easy find or at least hope so. If not I will have to take it apart and redo it. She has one of those binding machines so I can easily take that off and refile them in a notebook.





Good luck and have fun
Invest $20 on a good quality genealogical program like FamilyTreeMaker and use their format to record your information. I have 1500 pages of info on two families with 13,000 descendants. Worked for me!





And, they provide you with your own website to post your information so family and public can see what you did. I did this, too, and posting what I had brought thousands of additional descendants into the record.
You could also consider putting together a website with all the information. That way, it would be easy to include all of the information, pictures and stories about them without being limited to a book and it is easy to share. You could look at sites like http://www.familypulse.org that help you create such a website.





Good luck.
There is a really helpful book entitled, ';Geneology for Dummies';. While many of these books are kind of hokie, this one comes with a CD-Rom and a lot of really helpful information.





Try Genology for Dummies.
Best resource to begin your book is questioning your family, and relatives, about their grandparents. greats etc. Gather as much as you can. (bible records, church records, US census's is a great start). Start with your generation tracing back to your parents, on both sides, and continue to work back.





If you know where your earlier generations resided, census records is your best place to start.


Go to http://www.rootsweb.com


Rootsweb has a vast amount of resources including actual census's. (FREE!)





Haha...I was once overwhelmed too BUT...The best way to organize your work is to purchase a Family Tree Maker Program. I'm not trying to sell the product. Cost is very reasonable and an acceptional way to keep track and organize all your research. You'll love it!


It basically does the organizing for you! Youll be glad you did!


All the best and happy searching!

No comments:

Post a Comment