Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Awkward family situation..I need some advice?

Ok, so my grandmother has finally moved on since my granfather died over eight years ago. She now has a wonderful man in her life that is making her happy. At Christmas last year, he proposed to her.





The only issue is, that she feels like she has to discuss their sex life with me, which is just wrong. On one hand, I take it as a compliment that she sees me as an adult and feels comfortable to talk to me about this. On the other, I feel very uncomfortable while she's doing this.





I'm happy for her and I know that he makes her happy and is ready to spent what time they have left together. But it's just really wierd.





I feel that if I tried to talk to her about it, she would be offended.





Please, what is your advice?Awkward family situation..I need some advice?
LOL...just LISTEN to her......who knows, you might even pick up a few pointers. Humor the old Lady.....what harm can that do?Awkward family situation..I need some advice?
I think if your just honest. Tell her how happy you are for her and her new friend. But explain that even though you think it is great that she treats you like an adult there is one subject your just not comfortable with. The sex. Tell her you are there when she needs a relationship shoulder but would prefer that it wasn't about the sex. Grandmas would understand.
Feel honoured that your grandmother feels comfortable enough with you to talk to you about these personal things!!! True, it is a little high on the Weird-O-Meter, but she feels that she can talk to you about it without you judging her, or thinking bad about her. You should just accept this small gift for what it really is, her love in, and for, you; and her confidence and pride in you to just be a friend when you need to be.
say 'grandma that's too personal for me, i don't want to go there--i see you in a different 'light'. or just tell her its too much information.
Back in her day they didn't talk about sex much! Be glad you still have her and that she trusts you to talk to you about it and get over it being weird! We all do it, so whats the big deal?
try turning the table on her and discuss your sex life with her and see how she likes it.
Share the details with me and or have her tell me all the sorted details.
Just reassure your grandmother that you love her very much and you are really happy that she has found love again. I know this is hard for you but I would tell your grandmother that she can share her being happy about her sex life but sometimes you feel a little embarrassed hearing from her because although you';re flattered that she share the information with you, that you still look at her as an authoritative figure in your life. I went through the same thing with my grandmother. It felt weird because ';She's grandma'; and there is a line of respect between she and I. Grandmothers we sometimes put on a pedestal no matter how old we get and when they share this information with you, make you feel like a child again in their presence.
Tell her to stop.
It may be awkward for you to talk to your grandmother about her sex life, but for your grandmother, she is beginning her life again. She lived so long with your grandfather, and then alone for 8 years, and now has found love again, and wants to experience it in all ways. She may have entrusted you because you are young, experienced (if you are), and have a different perspective....for instance, you know what to do in the situation.





If you are that uncomfortable with it, then tell her! Just be kind because she might get embarrassed.
Tell her exactly what you've told us. Tell her how happy you are that she's happy, but that is just entirely T.M.I. !
Be open with her and tell her it makes you feel uncomfortable . She needs some woman friends around her own age to talk to . Maybe you could get her interested in some kind of activity with woman her own age .
well just tell her the truth and if she gets mad she will get over it just tell her you are not comfortable about this conversation
Haha thats something you can tell your grandchildren. I agree she would be offended. I think you should just deal with it and give her the hint without telling her. Everytime she brings it up get up and do something in the other room and respond as if you were listening. Get a cup of coffe or water, just get yourself out of there . She will think your listening just in the other room, and you can tune yourself out.
You could say in a joking manner when she starts the sex talk, just say Granny, just give me the PG version, and I will still manage to get the point.
This is inappropriate for your grandmother to share her sex life with you. No wonder you are uncomfortable with it. It would be best to be able to tell her right out that you aren't comfortable with it. If you can't do this, then change the subject abruptly, or walk away and get real busy elsewhere.
It is ok to tell her that you don't feel comfortable discussing sex with her. She probably has not thought about it bothering you and when you tell her she should be ok with it.





Good luck!
So I guess you need to choose..... it's either you're offended by her talk or she's offended by you asking her not to talk...





I vote she gets offended... The reason? You'll only offend her once whereas she'll be offending you everytime she has sex.....





Seriously, if you have a hard time talking to her about it, you may want to write a letter.... That way, nobody has to face the other when it happens... and it'll be easier after.
maybe just politely interrupt her and say hey gram gotta go bla bla... and maybe she will get the hint everytime she starts to discuss it or just casually change the subject...

No comments:

Post a Comment